This is an objective information page for the Mobiscribe Wave (Color) e-ink tablet, with details of hardware and software specs, features, and capabilities.
My subjective review can be found here.
|PRODUCT||MOBISCRIBE WAVE COLOR|
|Specs & ratings info|
|SCREEN||MOBISCRIBE WAVE COLOR|
|Screen type||Kaleido Plus|
|Screen resolution (B/W)||1404 x 1872|
|Screen density (B/W)||300dpi|
|Screen resolution (Colour)||468 x 604|
|Screen density (Colour)||100dpi|
|HARDWARE||MOBISCRIBE WAVE COLOR|
|CPU||1.5 Ghz Quad-core|
|SD card slot||⨯|
|SOFTWARE||MOBISCRIBE WAVE COLOR|
|Operating system||Android 12|
|Google Play Store||✓|
|Brush types||Pencil, Fountain Pen, Paintbrush|
|File formats||PDF, EPUB, TXT, FB2, AZW3, MOBI, PRC|
|File formats (image)||PNG, JPG|
|File formats (Audio)||-|
|BUY||MOBISCRIBE WAVE COLOR|
|Where to buy||MobiScribe|
|PRODUCT||MOBISCRIBE WAVE COLOR|
Anyone looking for an inexpensive, mid-range, waterproof colour eReader and eNotetaker with access to Google Play applications.
- Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 1.5GHz and 4 GB of RAM.
- 7.8″ (roughly A6-sized) Kaleido Plus screen with monochrome resolution of 1404×1872 (300 ppi).
- 64 GB of local storage space.
- Wifi (2.4GHz & 5GHz) and Bluetooth connectivity (5.2).
- Front-facing speaker.
- 2500mAh Internal battery
- USB-C for charging.
- Front Light (both warm and cold light can be adjusted).
- Included with the tablet is a proprietary Mobiscribe stylus.
- Three replacement tips and a tip remover are included.
- The stylus requires tips to be changed (rate depends upon usage).
- The stylus does not have batteries or need charging.
- The stylus has an eraser on the top.
- The device allows for 4,096 levels of pressure.
- Other Wacom-compatible styluses can be used.
- Android 12
- The user interface is centered around the device’s primary native apps (as noted below). This is a proprietary interface.
- Screen refresh rate can be configured on any apps downloaded on the device by long-pressing on the app icon and selecting Optimize from the resulting menu.
- This is not available for native apps, however the menu bar features a refresh button.
- Primary native apps that are built into the O/S are:
- Notes – Digital notetaking app
- Books – Reading and annotation app
- Calendar – Standard app
- Other pre-installed apps:
- Files – a file explorer for the device featuring a folder structure.
- Images – image viewer for files imported onto the device.
- MobiStore – featuring reading apps such as Kobo and Kindle, a small selection of tools including Dropbox, and 10 downloadable classic novels.
- Bluetooth functionality allows for keyboard or earbud connections.
- Google Play can be activated on the device through the System Menu and can take up to a week for registration before being active.
- Performance of Android apps can be variable because most will not have been optimised for the lower refresh rates of e-ink screens
- There is native support for backing up notebooks to Dropbox, Evernote, and the proprietary MobiCloud services.
- Files may be imported via Dropbox or Evernote.
- As there is access to the Google Play Store, there are also options to synchronize with other cloud services using third-party apps.
- Digital notepads can be exported as PDFs. Single pages can be exported as a PNG files.
- Files can be transferred to and from the Mobiscribe Wave device via a USB cable.
- Notebook files can be shared via e-mail as PDF or PNG files.
READING & ANNOTATING
- Books is the native reading and annotation app.
- Books can read MOBI, PDF, EPUB, and TXT formats.
- Books does not have native support for DRM-protected files, however, you may be able to download an alternative e-reader from the Google Play Store.
- There does not appear to be a way to export annotations outside of the device.
- With access to the Google Play Store, other e-reading software can be installed, such as Kindle, however these apps do not support annotation.
- Notes is the native note-taking app.
- Notes are organized using multi-page notepads. Notepads can be organized with folders.
- Notes can be formatted in either portrait or landscape orientations.
- Brushes include ballpoint pen, pencil, mechanical pencil, fountain pen, brush, and highlighter. There is also an eraser. Most brushes include 6 Eink greyscale colors and there are 15 options for line thickness.
- There are 4 different shapes which can be inserted into a note such as line, square, circle, and triangle.
- Multiple layers (5 in all) are supported. Various templates are included, which are effectively the bottom layer.
- Various elements can be inserted into notes, including text, images, tables, and a hyperlink within or between notebooks.
- Handwriting can be converted into text and searched via OCR technology.
- Notes can be exported as PDF or PNG files.
- Mobiscribe products are supplied with a 1-year warranty that covers materials and workmanship.
- Mobiscribe releases updates for their firmware.
- Mobiscribe is a company headquartered in the United States (San Jose, California) with a subsidiary in Germany.
- The official Mobiscribe website is MOBISCRIBE.COM
- The return policy is 30-days and requires the buyer to pay for shipping. Opened items will be charged a minimum 15% restocking fee.
- Mobiscribe devices can be purchased from other vendors, such as Amazon, where other return policies and procedures will apply.
MOBISCRIBE WAVE BLOG POSTS
About the author
Dan Dutton is passionate about E-ink writing tablets, which bring together the pleasure of writing on paper with the power of digital technology. When he bought his first tablet, he realised that there wasn't a lot of unbiased information available for people that were considering buying an E-ink tablet, and so he built eWritable.